Friday 15 August 2008

Now, here in England, it is not uncommon for one to overhear a group of people discussing the weather. In fact, it's becoming quite a cliche beginning to a conversation in good ol' Blighty -- 'So! How about this weather, eh?', as it seems the people of Britain are in a permenant state of surprise at the weather. Why? Because it's so bloody weird.

It is not untrue, of course, that we are often faced with torrential downpours, blizzards to rival Antarctica and, in general, miserable weather. Then, if we are ever lucky enough for the sun to come out, it's 20 degrees and we're whining about the heat.

The weather in the United Kingdom is unstable, unpredictable, stupid, a pain, and just not English, damn it.

And yet, we still cling to the idea that we are currently in the midst of a summer. We are not.
So, despite the fact that we've been lucky enough to indulge in autumn weather for the past few weeks (I do recall, somewhere in the vague and dusty recessess of my mind, a glorious summer this year that lasted approximately 4 days) our determination to call this summer means that only now, as September looms ever closer on the horizon, can we begin considering the exciting possibilities of autumn/winter dressing. Hurrah! For I hate summer, and everything that it is -- I find it impossible to dress for, and the fur coats, thick tights and woolen jumpers of autumn and winter dressing fill me with unimaginable glee.

So, as many other fashion bloggers (floggers? eheheheh) are now doing, I thought I'd share with you my own current designer loves for autumn/winter 2008/09.


Firstly, Ann Demeulemeester -- the hardest name to spell in fashion, but I love this collection nevertheless. I adore the almost piratey edge to this collection, particularly in the picture, and aren't those boots just to die for?



Secondly, Alexander McQueen, with his opulent ruffles and beautiful fabrics. Doesn't that woolysortof dress just look so cosy and perfect for autumn? The ruffles and lace excite and delight the Wilde fanatic in me, and this colour palette is so perfect for the coming colder months.



Probably one of my favourite collections, Christian Lacroix never fails to get everything just so sickeningly perfect. OTT as usual, somewhere I normally despise, but still fantastically elegant and clever, Lacroix's designs ooze an elegance and sophistication that doesn't bore me. And what is it with the tights?! Surely they're just tights -- and yet the tights are probably the main reason I adore this collection so much!

Elie Saab nails the 'nu-goth' vibe with lace, high collars, and an almost vampire-esque feel to the collections. The shoes, though, I'm not a fan.


Ugh, Givenchy ♥. I apologise profusely for the horrible size and quality of this picture, but I'm sure that you're more than familiar with this beautiful collection as it's been coated all over the fashion-blog hemisphere. And yet, I'm still not tired of it! This collection encapsulates perfectly the luxurious, structured, black-is-back, elegant rock chick feel that has dominated the majority of the autumn/winter collections I've encountered. And yes, just like everybody else, I'm lusting after those leather trousers like you wouldn't believe.



Now, a collection that surprised me: Valentino. Usually, the Valentino collection does nothing for me, but prancing around the autumn/winter collection this morning I was pleasantly surprised -- and this may well be one of my favourite collections of the seasons. It's simple shapes combined with less-than-simple detailing almost made me shiver with delight. The third picture, here, is my favourite by far. And again with the tights, what is this?!



After trapsing through all of these collections this morning I am now more excited than ever at the prospect of dressing for the winter months. Now it's simply depressing how I have to go and get changed into a blouse & pair of plain jeans for work :( and that's the reason for no outfit posts! I've been working all week, so, ew. And the fact that I had a huge clear out & got rid of about 99% of my clothes -- so a shopping trip is in order, I think!

Anyway, sorry this was such a novel of a post.

Are you excited about dressing for autumn/winter?
Which do you prefer -- the warmer months or colder?
Any favourite designers?
Let me know :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely excited for fall & winter! (It's still super hot over here.) I have to say, I didn't really pay any attention to Lacroix, but wow. So amazing!

P.S. - I've added you back!

this modern love said...

Thank you for the lovely comment!
Ooo, you've picked out some amazing collections. Alexander McQueen's was one of my absolute favourite a/w collections. I have such a love/hate relationship with his work but I thought this one was beyond beautiful.
I've added you to my links! x

Ariel said...

I love love love Autumn/winter and I love all the collections that are coming out for it.